Saturday, May 30, 2009

MSI Debug Logs : Trouble shoot the Installer problems

The applications which I am currently working gets installed in the system using MSI Installer. I am getting some problems after i installed and restart the system. I usually create log files to track out any problem that i am getting in my application. But these log files did not help me for figuring out some problem regarding installation. Then I heard from some of my friends that there are MSI logs are available in the system through which we can easily figure out installation related problems.
But for getting that log files we need to enable them before installing the application.
Here is the path to enable that
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
Reg_SZ: Logging
Value: voicewarmupx
in some operating systems you dont find Installer folder, then you can create by right clicking and selecting new. Once you have above path in your system you can proceed with installing your application. So that OS will log all the errors and actions that are appearing in system while installation.
Once installation is completed you can get MSI log files in %temp% folder of system with starting file name as MSI...

Take logs...track problems

No comments: